The Last Piece of my Heart - Paige Toon

Author: Paige Toon
Series: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary, Romance,
Release Date: May 18th 2017
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK

A successful travel journalist, Bridget has ambitions to turn her quirky relationship blog about the missing pieces of her heart into a book. But after a spate of rejections from publishers, she accepts an alternative proposition...

Nicole Dupré died leaving behind a bestselling novel and an incomplete sequel. Tasked with finishing the book, Bridget is thankful to have her foot in the publishing door, even if it means relocating to Cornwall for the summer and answering to Nicole's grieving husband, Charlie. But as she gets to know the family Nicole left behind, and the woman behind the words, Bridget’s priorities begin to change...


I’m a little late to the party when it comes to reading books by the ever-fabulous Paige Toon. I read ‘The One We Fell in Love with’ on my summer holiday to Majorca last year and while I thought it was okay, I wasn’t overly impressed so didn’t bother to read anymore.

However, in the last couple of weeks, I’ve read more and more of her books, so when I saw her latest read ‘The Last Piece of my Heart’ was on offer in my local store, I couldn’t resist.
Bridget is so much fun! The protagonist of the book, she is happily settled with her boyfriend Elliot who lives in Australia and writes a relationship blog which she desperately wants to turn into a novel. So, she sets about travelling around the world to ask her ex-boyfriends for a piece of her heart back.

Her publisher has another offer though: to travel to Cornwall and become a ghost-writer to finish the sequel to Nicole Duprés bestselling book after she sadly died. Queue a trip to Cornwall where Bridget meets Charlie, a grieving husband and his daughter April. 

I really enjoyed reading about Cornwall, it’s a place I’ve never been but always wanted to go and after reading this book, it has moved to the top of my places to visit.

I also loved seeing how Bridget’s relationship developed with Charlie and April. It wasn’t rushed, and although there was a spark from the beginning, it developed slowly which suited the pace of the book in general. To be honest though, I couldn’t wait for Charlie and Bridget to finally get together. After every page, I was willing Charlie to just finally kiss her!

This book is a journey of self-discovery for Bridget. Her whole life centres around her past and trying to piece together her heart so she can finish her blog and get it published. The moment she realises that her blog isn’t the most important thing and what is, is right in front of her, I was overcome with the same emotions she was feeling. She is strong, and brave and I was rooting for her through the whole of the book as she risked everything for what truly matters.

I couldn’t put this book down and read it within 24 hours and I know others will find it hard not to do the same.

This book is perfect for anyone who loves a happy ending. From the very first moment I met Bridget, I knew she would always have a piece of my heart. I couldn’t not give this book 5/5 stars and I am so excited to see what Paige has in store for us next.

Comments

Popular Posts